Monday, June 6, 2011

Welcome

Hi there!

I know I am getting some new readers so I thought I would take a moment to show you around.  First, welcome!  You should know that I try my hardest to post often, but with our lives being kind of insane right now, I go missing sometimes.  But I always come back!

Let me tell you a little bit about me, and this blog!  I am Katie (although I go by several different names).  I am wife to Ian.  Mama to Luca.  This blog started (in 2007) as a way to document the planning of our wedding after Ian proposed, but has evolved into a place where I document funny stories, some sad stories, - basically all of the adventures of our life together. 

We had an amazing wedding in Washington, DC, a spectacular honeymoon in Greece, and then moved to Baltimore just a few weeks later for me to enter law school.  Our first year of marriage was full of joy and adventures, especially with my nose burried in the books for most of that time.

We were shocked to learn we were going to expand our family.  Just a few months later, we learned that our lives would be filled with pink, and that Ian would be surrounded by his three girls (me, Tessa, and baby girl).  I was blessed with a smooth, happy pregnancy.  I went way past my due date (and yes my dates were accurate, and yes the waiting game was freaking awful).  Then, finally, baby girl debuted 2 weeks, 3 days past her due date.  Giving birth was one of the most wonderful and wild things I have ever done.  I still wonder how she ever fit in my belly, or fit coming out of me!  (You can read her birth story: Part I here and Part II here.) 

The night before we were discharged from the hospital, Luca got sick.  I spoke about that day here.  She was diagnosed with a rare metabolic disorder called Urea Cycle Disorder (specifically, CPS-I).  Once she was released from the NICU over one month later, I talk about the transformation.  Until December 14th, our life was busy keeping Luca healthy!

Then, Luca had a liver transplant (thanks to my hubs, Ian!) on December 14th, 2010, to act as a cure for the metabolic disorder.  Luca's story even made it into the paper.  We have been in and out of the hospital since then.  All the while, I am still pumping (even though it is a big pain in the butt)!

Browse around in the archives to read more.  Some months that had some big events were June 2008, July 2008, August 2008, January 2010, March 2010, August 2010, December 2010, January 2011.  Feel free to post comments or questions or you can even email me at frommagerkstoidos@gmail.com.  If you want to continue reading our journey, please follow the blog (or follow me on twitter).  Thanks so much for stopping by:)

Happy reading,
Katie

Some other posts that I either like, or think are helpful:
A picture I've been waiting to capture
Should
Some things don't change
When someone has a loved one hospitalized: Part I
When someone has a loved one hospitalized: Part II
Feeding Tubes
Feeding tube questions answered
The ugly side
Here
A typical day in the hospital
My first mother's day
Picture post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!