Monday, September 14, 2009

Opportunity

I mentioned awhile ago that an amazing opportunity came into my life. Towards the end of my time in clinic, one of my supervisors approached me about a for-credit job opportunity for the fall. I was planning on continuing in Clinic, but as a 2nd year clinic student (a Clinic II student to be exact). The roles shift a bit and instead of being newbies, you get to help out Clinic I students (like what I was this summer).

The opportunity that was presented to me, however, was a bit different. I would be working for a fantastic professor, who also happens to be an amazing criminal defense litigator who teaches attorney better litigation skills. I had worked with this professor a little bit over the summer on one of my trials and thought he was not only incredibly talented, but he wants students to learn and absorb as much information as possible. And he has the expertise to do this.

So I went and interviewed for the position and got it! I am helping him with his fall caseload for his criminal defense clinic and am considered a teaching assistant (a bit different from being just a Clinic II student). I help his Clinic I students prepare for trials and will be having some of my own clients as well.

I had been pretty disappointed in July when I found out that I didn't get onto a fairly prestigious board at school. But hindsight is certainly 20/20 because now that I see how much crap work those people are doing that are on the board (I don't mean crap work in terms of the quality - I mean that the work seems incredibly tedious and boring. I do not want to give you the impression that the people that are on the board are anything short of incredibly bright, talented individuals!). But now that I see that, I can see it happened for a reason. I absolutely LOVED the work I did this summer, and cannot wait to embark on an area of law that is new to me, under the supervision of such an amazing professor, helping students who were in my position just a few months ago. One door closes, another opens!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the great opportunity! I think this really is a case of "everything happens for a reason".

    Sometimes I feel a bit guilty that Jeremy won't have these opportunities because he works full-time but I think if this type of opportunity presented itself to Jeremy, I would support him.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!