Thursday, August 27, 2009

Random Happenings

*I want to thank people for the comments/emails/calls I received after my post about the weight issues. It's been an incredibly frustrating process but I'm determined to get answers and it helps to know that I am not alone!

After a week of trying to contact the endocrinologist group my doctor had recommended, I finally gave up on them. I had left 2 messages and called about 10 times over the past week, all to never get a call back and I was never able to get in touch with a human being. So I called my regular doctor back and he suggested someone else. I called the someone else and they are able to fit me in next Thursday. I'm thrilled to have gotten such a quick appointment! And even better, this doctor is in the same practice as the well known pulmonologist who treated me when I was in the hospital when I was 19 for both lungs collapsing. I have a lot of faith in that doctor so I'm hoping I will have good luck with this guy.

I've been busy this week preparing to head back to classes next week. I'm about as excited to go back to school as Tessa is when she goes to the vet. That is a really random comparison but my brain is dead at the moment. She starts shaking and drooling and whining and puts her tail between her legs and wants me to hold her and puts all four legs straight out and pushes back as if to put the breaks on. Yep that's me - except the drooling part.

I just am sad to go back because over the summer I finally started feeling like "me" again. I was able to laugh and spend time with Ian and Tessa and family and friends without that little voice in my head saying Katie, you have reading and outlining and more reading and notetaking to do. I was able to let go of that guilt that had accompanied me during the school year. I could be spontaneous and decide to go run errands whenever I felt like it, and go for hour long walks just for the hell of it. I'm going to miss all of that!

On a positive note, at least I'm 1 year down. And on the bright side, instead of taking 16 credits each semester like last year, this upcoming semester I only have to take 12. I don't have classes on Tuesdays and Fridays which is SWEET. My earliest class during the week is at 1:05 which means I can work out every morning. 2 of my 3 classes are ones that I WANT to take, and aren't required which should make readings a bit more interesting for me. And an amazing opportunity came into my life a few weeks ago - but I will go into that in more detail in another post.

I feel so much more prepared for this year - more relaxed as well. I know what it takes and also have some things I'm doing differently. Mainly, I am starting my reading way in advance so that I can better plan some down time for myself. This strategy allows for nights that I am too tired to do work, or a weekend day to not do any work. I also am planning on outlining as I go so that I don't end up stressing at the end of the semester. So more preparation I am hoping will make for a little less stressful semester. And that is what I'm going for - so that I can still laugh and enjoy life without that little voice in my head making me feel guilty.

1 comment:

  1. As Jon always says "Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!"

    (and yes, he really does tell me this he calls it the "5 P's in life")

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!