Monday, March 28, 2011

Post pregnancy body

With all that has happened with Luca, I have not really touched upon the state of my body post-pregnancy.  Well, I gained a total of about 23 pounds while pregnant.  I weighed myself 1 week after she was born, when she was in the NICU.  I was a few pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight (so down about 26 pounds).  That's what happens when you have a baby in the NICU I guess.  I wasn't eating well, I was pumping, and I was up on my feet nonstop. 

Since 1 week post-delivery, I haven't lost another pound.  How does that happen?!  My belly has certainly gone down a lot since 1 week post-partum, but my weight hasn't gone down.  And while I'm a few pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, my body is very different.  I can't seem to get rid of this belly.  Although I'll admit that I haven't really had the time to work out to try to get rid of it.  And I'm still a size bigger than I was pre-pregnancy.  Which makes me a very unhappy camper every time I try to put clothes on.

I decided that everyday we are not in the hospital, I will try to get some exercise in.  I'm putting it out into the internet world so that I have to try to stick to it.  I realize with our crazy life right now, that I may not be able to stick to it every single day.  But I'm going to do my best to make 20 minutes per day to take care of myself.  Even if it doesn't make much of a difference with my weight, it will help make me feel better.  I'm going for progress, not perfection.

On Saturday, I started doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  And holy hell, on Sunday I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.  And I kind of liked it.

A realistic goal for me: work out on the days I can, and ultimately, fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes comfortably (I fit into most of my pants, but I have a major muffin top going on.  And until I stop pumping, my shirts will forever be too short - but otherwise my shirts fit just fine).  And if I'm being completely honest and aiming for my ultimate goal, I'd love to lose another 10-15 pounds.  Bam.  Let's get to it.

(And no...I am not brave enough to post before and after pictures - well not brave enough to do bare belly ones like Kim. I may post before and after pictures after I try this working out thing for a month.  We'll have to see!)

1 comment:

  1. You are a great motivator - I have no excuses now - if you can make time for it, so can I! Quitting smoking has put a nice ten pound ring around my waste (it may have to do with the fact that i have substituted cigarettes for sour cream & onion chips!).

    The 30 day shred is great because it is intense but not horribly time consuming (its 30 minutes right?).

    In your honor I dragged my ass out of bed at 5:15 this morning and got to some cardio. I expect to have the truck feeling tomorrow!

    Stick with it lady!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!