Friday, October 23, 2009

It isn't always easy to do what's right

Not a good afternoon people.  Not good.  I had a big workout and then went to leave a tiny parallel parking spot and felt a bump.  I didn't see the car behind me move, so I thought I had bumped the curb.  Just to be sure, I got out and checked the car behind me.  Nope, I definitely bumped the car.  And unfortunately, because of my car being high, it created a lot of damage to the short car behind me.

Instead of driving away like most assholes do (and are the reason I have a ton of dings on my car), I got out a piece of paper and wrote a note saying how sorry I was and giving them ways to get in touch with me. 

I called Ian right away, and he told me that accidents happen and that's why we have insurance.  But still, I am super upset.  Something so stupid.  And literally, I literally just tapped their car.  And to think that that little tap caused such damage pisses me off.

I ended up waiting around for about 45 minutes, took pictures of the damage to their car and wrote down their car information so I can have Ian look at the pics and give an estimate as to what the damage will cost to fix.  It was raining and I was worried the ink on my note would run and they wouldn't have a way to get in touch with me.  But they never came out while I was there.  So I left the note and came home and have been sulking since.  Ugh.  And of all times, when money is already extremely tight, to have this happen is nothing close to ideal.

I think I'll feel better once I talk to the owner.  I am hoping they'll be nice on the phone.  If they give me any attitude, Ian will have to take over because I already feel like crap about the situation, and did the right thing by leaving a note.  And you know, doing the right thing, like leaving a note, isn't so easy.  It's embarrassing especially as all these people passed me and were staring.  Ugh, what a way to start the weekend.

5 comments:

  1. sorry chica! same thing happened to me... and it was so embarrassing.. I was texting at a red light and didnt realize my foot was SLIGHTLY off the break petal.... and i tapped the guy in front of me... and he noticed. $700 dollars out of pocket later, his damage was fixed, but it was so frusterating and I felt so shitty over the situation. Hang in there... you never know - the owner might not call at all and you could luck out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie - It is SO embarrassing. I don't know why since the majority of people have been in a fender bender before. It happens to all of us - but yet when it's ME, it's so embarrassing. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed - you're right, most people would try to get away with it and take off. It's very humbling to cause any kind of accident or damage. I caused my first accident not too long ago and more than anything else I just felt stupid and embarrassed. Hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate accidents - but they do happen. You totally did the right thing, so I'm sure you'll be rewarded in the Karma world at some point :)

    I once accidentally rolled into the back of a huge pickup truck, and even though I was going super slow at the time, their truck was high enough to cause tons of damage to the hood of my little car. Ended up being totalled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doahleigh - They do make you feel terrible. I hate that!

    Ally - Thanks, I think it was right in the long run (at least that's what I'd want someone to do if they hit my car). And I hope it does come back around at some point in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!