Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Mommy Itch

I do not think I can hide the fact that I love kids. I think they're adorable and they make me laugh uncontrollably. I have 7 nieces and nephews and the 3 kids of my matron-of-honor are essentially my family. I always wished I'd had younger brothers or sisters - but maybe my love for kids is because I didn't have younger brothers or sisters.


I grew up hanging out with one of my best friend's family - she's one of 4 kids and I was so jealous. She had tons of cousins and her recent wedding was a blast with the majority of the guests being her family. One of my other friends is one of 8. Yes - that's a lot of kids! But again, I love seeing her with her siblings - her recent wedding was also a huge one - over 400 people I believe, but that's because she had over 100 family members coming.


Since we've been married (almost a year - I can't believe it!), I have noticed that I have the Mommy Itch. It's like my body is telling me it's time to have babies. I see kids at restaurants, church, on the street, in stores, on TV and when I see them, whatever else going on around me suddenly stops. All I can see are the kids. Almost instinctively, I turn to Ian: "I want babies." He's used to it by now - thank God the Mommy Itch is hitting me after we're married - I'm sure he would've been running screaming from me had I started with those types of comments beforehand.


His response is "I know honey - soon." We had agreed (much to Ian's dissatisfaction) to wait until I'm finished with law school and settled in a job. That means we have to wait until 2-3 years. It's scary and exciting all in the same moment that starting a family is that close to becoming a reality. But at the same time, it feels so far away. You grow up thinking, get married, have kids. Or maybe that's just how I thought. But I met this amazing man, married him and now it's like I have to trick myself into thinking it's not time to have kids yet.


So Ian will have to keep hearing me say those words: I want babies. I can't help it. I am so excited for that chapter in our lives. Maybe the Mommy Itch kicks in when you are at a point in your life that you'd imagined you'd start having kids. I know I'm not the only one out there that Mommy Itch has attacked. What makes it kick in? Does it kick in for everyone?


Well until we're at a point to start having kids, I wish the Mommy Itch would hide away in the sidelines somewhere. Because I'm pretty sure it's a little old to keep hearing "I want babies." And until we're at that chapter in our lives, I'm pretty happy being just the three of us (I can't leave Tessa out of course!), enjoying each other and the freedom that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!