Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Homemade Playdoh

In an effort to distract Luca from feeling crappy, I try to come up with activities that occupy her for some time, that are somewhat new, and require some participation.  Yesterday, Luca's fever returned and as we cannot give her any meds to bring the fever down and provide comfort unless her fever gets high enough, she was quite cranky.

While she napped, I looked up a recipe for homemade play-doh.  Even though we have play-doh here, I thought that the act of making it would be something new for her.  Sure enough, I had all of the ingredients on hand and some food coloring.

Luca's crankiness continued through the play-doh making process.  Then, the fact that her hands had to get messy  to add color to it made her none too happy.  She has sensory issues thanks to all those hospitalizations, and she absolutely hates being messy or touching sticky things.  I ended up coloring the play-doh myself and ruled the activity a complete fail.

Except that today, she really wanted to play with the completed product.  She happily played and made shapes using her little play-doh kit (which by the way I recommend - one of her therapists introduced us to it and I immediately got it for Luca).

My take on the homemade play-doh recipe I used - it makes a nice soft play-doh and I like that I can make it at home and use this batch for when she is sick, and do not feel bad pitching it afterwards.  It means that we can color it any color we want.  It does not have that smell that play-doh typically has.  It is a great activity to do with your kids, especially if your child likes sensory activities.

And pictures from making it yesterday, and playing with it today.  And yes, yes she is wearing the same shirt two days in a row.  Judge me all you like but she refused to change shirts and I am trying to pick my battles wisely with the cranky child.

Not too impressed with this coloring business.




Better today!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!