Friday, January 30, 2009

Pack Leader

Over winter break, I watched lots of TV - well at least more than I normally do. I watched the first season of Heroes, which by the way, I became obsessed with. I also became obsessed with this man:




Cesar Millan! I watched it religiously (and catch it whenever possible now). I had heard a lot about him, but thought some of techniques may have been a bit harsh. But after watching the show, I now understand better the theory behind his techniques, and honestly, though they may seem tough, they make sense, and work!
So we've been using some of the techniques on Tessa. Tessa is generally a pretty good dog, but she has issues with some dogs (although eventually gets over it) and barks at the mailman. And she's also skeptical of new people. So we've employed the idea that when we come through the door, or any person walks through the door, you can't talk, touch or make eye contact with her until she is completely calm. This is also supposed to make her anxiety better. So far, she seems much more independent (will go and lay in a room that neither one of us are in - something she would never do before), is much calmer on walks, and will stay calm when I give her commands while the mailman comes by.
If I could meet this man to come work with Tessa, I would be thrilled. Until then, I'll keep working with Tessa!

2 comments:

  1. With all our greyhound fosters, when we get them off the track and while we have them, and even with Cole, we never make coming and going a big deal. They say it is the quickest way to separation anxiety.

    Even ask Ian! When I first got Cole nobody could pay any attention to him when they came in! It made the world of a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you catch a "Dog Whisperer" about dogs interacting nicely with other dogs, let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!