Friday, July 19, 2013

7 Things I am loving - Food and Drink Edition


  1. Vegenaise.  I know what some of you may be thinking - that this is gross.  And Ian was thinking the exact same as you.  But I did a taste test with him several weeks ago.  I put mayo on one of his BLT's, and vegenaise on the other.  And he thought the mayo one tasted weird so that it must be the vegenaise.  He was wrong.  I am hooked and probably won't go back to mayo.
  2. Sprouted Spelt Bread.  It has such a more mild flavor than whole wheat and Luca absolutely loves it.  I am also reading great things about spelt.  I have been buying Berlin Bakery brand.  
  3. Mango and Avocado salad.  I have been using Gwyneth Paltrow's recipe and it is absolutely delicious.  It is cold and citrusy and so refreshing.  Here is a link to her recipe.  
  4. King Estate Pinot Gris.  It is less acidic than our usual favorite, sauvignon blanc.  I am not a wine expert but I know what I like and I am loving this one.  It is perfect to have a glass while on the deck.  Here is a link.  
  5. Argyle Pinot Noir.  Light.  Great summer red.
  6. Homemade chicken salad with celery and red grapes (and vegenaise!  see #1 above).  In DC's extremely hot weather, I have just not been wanting to eat anything too warm or heavy.  So I have been making this salad about one dinner per week.  A little side salad, plus a scoop of chicken salad.  It is delicious.
  7. Rutabaga "fries".  A high school friend made these recently and I was hooked.  Another bonus, Luca absolutely loves them.  It is sometimes a fight to get a lot of veggies in her, so I have been making these at least once a week.  When I make these, she barely touches anything else on her plate, and just keeps asking for more "fries".  Here is a basic recipe to start with.  You can add whatever seasoning you want.  We have done two types - one with old bay, and one with rosemary.  Both were absolutely delicious.  Note that these do not get crispy like fries - but the taste is great and they make up for it by having more nutrients and fewer carbs.  Also, look up a picture of a rutabaga before venturing to your grocery store in case you do not know what they look like.  Finally, you can look up how to cut the rutabaga online.  It is worth it!


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

  1. Those rutabaga fries are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having them since your house! SO good!

      Delete

Leave me your thoughts!