Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 5: Weekend cooking

Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you all had a great weekend even in this chilly weather.  I continued my everyday posts to keep up with my goal of posting everyday in November for NaBloPoMo.  So check out my posts from Saturday and Sunday:  Day 3: Alone time and Day 4: Liver numbers.

Today's post is all about food.  Weekends consist of lots of cooking in our house so that we have snacks for the week and leftovers for lunches and dinners.  While some people hate leftovers, I depend on them in our household.  We normally have one big meal per week that will last us at least a couple meals.  And while I like to cut back financially in a lot of different ways, food is one of the things that we still splurge on.  We do not eat out often so we make good food at home to keep things interesting.

This past weekend we made a few things (it was not a particularly healthy weekend...must walk lots this week):
  • Homemade granola - we have made this before and it is perfect to eat for breakfast or as a snack on the go.  Luca loves it!
  • Banana bread - this is my go-to recipe and everyone always loves it.  Just Jenn has some other great baked good recipes.  Ian prefers it without the topping - but he is the only one that prefers it that way, so I typically make half the muffins with the topping and half without it.  I also sometimes make a loaf instead of muffins and it always turns out great.
  • Pennette ala vodka - We do not make this very often because it is horribly bad for you (all the cream) but omigosh so delicious.  Ian decided to make this for dinner Sunday night.  And so great for leftovers.
  • Lemony cake: I made this for my goddaughter and it is absolutely delicious, without icing.  Same idea as Darn Good Chocolate Cake but different flavor and a couple substitutions/changes.
    • 1 box lemon cake mix
    • 1 small box lemon instant pudding mix
    • 1 cup 2% fage yogurt (or light sour cream)
    • 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 3 large eggs
    • white chips (optional)
    • Preheat oven to 350.  Spray and flour your pan (I always use a bundt pan for this).  Mix all ingredients and add chips last.  Pour into pan and cook for probably 30-40 minutes.  Watch your cake and it is done when it is just slightly tan on top and a utensil comes out clean.
  • Roasted cauliflower - Ian swears he hates cauliflower, but he loves this recipe.  We made baked snapper, a salad, and this cauliflower and it was a deliciously healthy meal.
  • Pancake squares - great alternative to regular Sunday morning pancakes and it saves you from needing to do batches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!