Having a yard and space to garden this year turned out great. Not only for allowing Luca to run about but also for growing our own veggies and herbs. I kept things pretty simple since this was my first time trying to grow much of anything.
The mint must have been planted by the previous tenants but it has grown incredibly through the summer.
The other things we tried:
All of the above worked beautifully except the parsley, which died when we had massive rain.
We have enjoyed some amazing salads with our own herbs and tomatoes. I have had enough to give away bundles when people come to eat with us. Some of our favorite ways to use them include:
- adding a few leaves of basil and mint to your basic lettuce salads
- making tomato basil pie
- encrusting lamb or chicken with some olive oil and the basil, mint, and rosemary
- chopping up the mint and basil and putting them into plastic baggies separately - then adding some olive oil and freezing the baggies so that we have our fresh herbs through the winter
- making pesto
- making mozzarella caprese salads
- making a corn salad with basil added
- cooked potatoes with butter and olive oil and mint
- couscous salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, mint