Friday, July 8, 2011

11 months old




Luca,

I cannot wrap my head around the fact that we are around the corner from your first birthday.  This upcoming birthday marks a lot of things.  I am sure those first moments, first days, will replay in my mind more than they typically do.

But one thing is for certain - this birthday, as all of your birthdays shall be, is an incredible celebration of your life. 

So 11 months has kind of caught me off-guard, simply because of how close we are to that number 1.

You have been home from the hospital for 16 days.  This is officially the longest time spent at home since your transplant and I am rejoicing for this progress.  It is during these longer spans of time that you make tremendous strides developmentally.  The first thing people say when they learn you have spent the majority of your life in a hospital is "she looks so healthy!"  We are so very proud and blessed at how well you are adjusting to this life of yours.

You say "mama" repeatedly now and it melts my heart every single time.  You stand like a champ, and get the proudest look when you manage to pull yourself up with a bit of help.  You are starting to take a step here and there.  You still hate tummy time and get out of it as soon as you see us trying to get you on your tummy.  You have mastered the pincer milestone, and are maneuvering small objects perfectly.  You are sharing your personality minute by minute, letting us know your likes and dislikes.

You have a complete meltdown if your Daddy imitates you crying.  You have a similar meltdown if I sniff to clear my sinuses.

You love being outside and having your diaper off.  You want to be standing more time than not, and get upset if your legs give out from exhaustion.  You squint your eyes from surprise when the wind hits your face, and smile big.  You are the happiest first thing in the morning.

You just started being scared of new people, especially if they invade your space. 

You now have your first two teeth that came in almost simultaneously.  They are on the bottom in the middle.  We think you have more coming in because holy drool and snot, we cannot keep your face clean.

You are starting to take pureed foods on a daily basis.  I will not go so far as to say you enjoy it, but you know what to do with it and as long as you are distracted, you will take what I give you.  This has been a major accomplishment and has been such work getting this far.  You have certainly made it known that you will not be pushed to do something that you simply are not ready for.  Baby steps for sure!

Most people say you look like your Daddy, which irritates me incredibly.  But your Dada and I think you are the perfect blend of us.  You have my smile, lips and complexion.  You have your Daddy's eye shape, distinct forehead, and shape of the face.  The jury is still out on the nose and we think you have your very own unique hair color.

Luc - you are your own little person and we love every single piece of you.  We were talking the other night and your Dada said "I do not think there is one thing that I do not love about her.  Maybe her poop - but even that I do not mind really." 

You are loved unconditionally, thoroughly, and I hope you always know that.

Love, Mama

5 comments:

  1. beautiful post and pictures! you certainly have a heart breaker on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! This got me totally teary-eyed. I can't believe she'll be 1 year old soon. Time flew by (for me).

    She's definitely a happy baby and looks totally healthy! She's come so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for 16 days away from the hospital! Keep that streak going Luca!

    Great pictures. She looks healthy and happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this letter you wrote to Luca. When she's older she'll be able to read this and know how great a "mama" she has. You have a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!