I found this one, but took some suggestions and changed things a bit. Here is the recipe as I made it, that turned out buttery, sweet, slightly tart, with the most perfect buttery flaky crust.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1.5 cup butter or margarine, softened (I would actually use a tiny bit less than this - probably 1 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup lemon juice (from real lemons - about 2 lemons total)
a few tablespoons of lemon juice in a bottle
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Combine the crust ingredients. Pat dough into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until slightly golden. While the crust is baking, whisk together eggs, white sugar, flour, and lemon juice until frothy. Pour this lemon mixture over the hot crust.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees F.
- Return the pan to the preheated oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares.