Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust

Thanks to Annie for her suggestions in yesterday's post!  I think I may have to have more guest bloggers post after their weddings or other life-changing events.

Onto today's post.  I remember sitting around at my mom's house with my high school girlfriends talking about who we thought would get married first and last out of our group.  This conversation probably took place 5-6 years ago.  It was guessed that I would be last - I don't think this was in a mean way, but more in a, I'm prone to be overly cautious way.

It's interesting how things work out in reality.  I was #2 to get married out of the 6 of us.  And now, 3 of us are married.  2 of the others are now engaged.

It makes me wonder - when did we all grow up?  Most of my law school friends are not married or engaged.  Maybe because most of my law school friends waited a few years to go to law school after college.  Or maybe just a coincidence.  I'm not sure. 

And I can hardly believe that the next big stage for most of us is having babies.  Amazing how things change in 5-6 years.  6 years ago, I was in a relationship that should've been over the first time we broke up (there were about 3 breakups I think in the 5 years I was with the guy).  At this exact time 6 years ago, I was studying abroad in Spain (take me back pleasssee), drinking way too much, traveling all over the place and making some amazing friends (two of my bridesmaids!).  It almost seems like a lifetime ago.  But in other respects, I feel like I was just there.

With 5 weddings on our schedule next year already, I'm super excited to watch as 5 dear friends take the next big step in their lives.  And if things have changed this much in the past 6 years, I can hardly imagine where we'll all be 6 years from now.  But I'm excited to see.

7 comments:

  1. Oh god - where was I 6 years ago? That's right... in a terrible relationship. This month I'll have been with J for 5 years. Its crazy to think we've been married for half of tha time.

    The fact that you were studying abroad 6 years ago makes me feel old! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim - I can't believe you guys have been together that long! I always thought you guys had been together so much longer than Ian and I - but we're only 5 months behind you guys.

    Ha - I turned 21 while I was studying abroad in Spain! I feel like I'm still in my early 20's. But not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think steak-ems and apple butter were in the picture while we were having the marriage convos? Or perhaps board games with swwwaannns?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my friends and I had that same conversation more than 10 years ago, I guessed I'd be married last of the five of us. And also that I'd be the last to have kids.

    Three of us are married, and I'm engaged. The fifth has no plans to get married any time soon. But she does has kids, as do two others.

    It's fun to look back at how you thought it would be and to see now how it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie - I'm not sure if steak-ums and apple bread were in the picture yet! We need to do a game night with steak-ums one night!

    Shannon - Isn't it so funny how things really work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was the last in my group...and I'll be the second!

    And to Kim & Kt - it seems like just yesterday you two ladies were entering the picture! I laugh when I think of Jeremy coming home and declaring he was going to "get you" :P and thinking about St. Patty's day!! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacy - Seriously can you believe St. Patty's was over 4.5 years ago?!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!