Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Choices

Right now, I feel like I need to make so many choices. Here they are and feel free to give me your opinion!
  • Summer Job v. Clinic for Credit: It's normally difficult for a first year law student to get a paying legal job during their first summer. Well, add the stinking economy, where so many attorneys are being laid off and working as paralegals, and it means even fewer jobs for summer positions. So what to do? Do I take a non-paying internship? The other option is that one of the requirements for graduation is to take a 7 credit clinic. Normally it's 2 semesters, and it's basically real experience as an attorney (pro bono) and representing clients and whatnot. They offer this during the summers as well, and the great thing about it is that it's basically a 9-5 job, no homework, and normally is a sure-bet to an A. The A would certainly help boost my GPA, just before I start interviewing for summer 2010 associate positions (which I interview for in the fall). I'm leaning towards the summer clinic even though it'd require me to take another small loan and I won't be getting paid.
  • Summer vacation trip: We normally go on one bigger trip per year. This year, we want to go away around the time of our first anniversary. I'd love to go to Italy, or do the California vineyards, or San Diego, or the caribbean. But seriously, we're living off of one salary. So those type of vacations will kind of have to wait until I am making money during the summer. So - we're trying to be a little more creative in our search for vacation spots. We looked into renting a beach house for a week, which quite honestly would be amazingly relaxing and probably just what we need, but even the houses are going for a lot during the time we want to go - June. Any ideas?
  • 1st anniversary present for Ian - isn't the first anniversary supposed to be paper? What did you get your hubby for your 1st anniversary?

Happy hump day!

3 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer that experience will get you far. I always did internships, and never was paid for one, and feel as though it really really helped me along my career and life path. Now financially, I have no clue if it's feasible for you! But I think you should take advantage of being in law school and getting some "notches" on your belt :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I can offer some good insight since this is part of my new job job I suppose ;) I think you should definitely go for the clinical for credit. Knock out 2 birds with 1 stone - getting the credit and boosting the GPA. Depending on the hours for the clinical, you could pick up a side job, since I'm sure taking 1 class will seem like nothing compared to what you've been doing all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woops. i said clinical because I'm used to my nursing/P.A. school friends :) meant to say clinic.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!