We turned our kitchen upside down eliminating all dairy and eggs. I had always done most of our cooking, but suddenly had to learn new ways of cooking and substituting common things like butter, eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, mayo, etc.
Since so many people are learning about food allergies, being diagnosed with them, or have friends that visit who have food allergies similar to L's, I'll periodically share some brands, products, and recipes that we use in our house that are dairy and egg free.
5 Basic products we always have in the house:
- Vegenaise. Seriously, this stuff is the best mayo you will ever have. I did a taste test for the hubs and made one sandwich with real mayo, and the other with this, and he guessed wrong. I've even converted people to start using this instead.
- Earth Balance Butter. We use this in recipes that call for regular butter. We cook with it, bake with it, and spread it on toast or pancakes for L. It works really well and while isn't identical, it tastes pretty darn close.
- Silver Hills Little Big Bread. Have you looked at the ingredients of the bread you buy at your store? It probably has some form of milk in it, which we were surprised by. We tried all different kinds and we are sold on this brand. It's absolutely delicious. It's not sold many places and is found in the frozen section. If you see it, try it! The best healthy bread we've tried.
- Nutiva Coconut Oil. We use this oil in place of butter in many recipes.
- Avocados. We always have a handful of avocados in our refrigerator to use instead of slices of cheese on sandwiches, to make salad dressings with, to make dips, etc.
I'll add some more products periodically, and share some recipes. Keep an eye out!