Thursday, December 27, 2012

Homemade Drain Unclogger

A Christmas recap is in the works (with pictures), but in the meantime, wanted to share this quick tidbit.

On Christmas day, some potato peels ended up clogging our drain so badly that when we turned on the disposal, it would force water to come up in the other side of the sink, where there is a stopper.  We did not have anything to unclog drains in the house.  So I did a quick search online for a home remedy.  I used the following:

1/2 cup baking soda - pour it into the drain as much as possible
1 cup of vinegar poured slowly on top of the baking soda into the drain
Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then pour boiling water (I used a few cups full) down the drain

For all that Ian makes fun of my homemade cleaning supplies and detergents, he was impressed with how well this worked and even said "well I guess I should stop making fun of all of these homemade things you've been making."

Worked like a charm!  Next time you have a clogged drain, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!