Monday, August 2, 2010


We had a check-up this morning.  I was feeling extremely uncomfortable with the idea of being induced tomorrow.  I did a ton of research over the weekend looking at the risks and benefits of being induced, versus waiting until later in the week.  For the record, I will be 42 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and there is a debate as to how long doctors should allow patients to go.

I am so happy I am with my midwives.  They sat and talked about all of our options, and consulted with me about their opinion, while listening to my worries and concerns.  We ultimately decided that we'll continue to closely monitor baby girl, and so long as she is doing beautifully, we will hold off on inducing until Thursday.

As of last Wednesday, I was about 1 cm dilated.  Today, I was 3cm.  The ultrasound showed that baby girl is doing wonderfully - my amniotic fluid level is described as "plenty" - at an 18 (the max is something like a 20, and they will induce immediately if the amniotic fluid level drops to about 5-6).  Baby girl passed the non-stress test perfectly.  And even more amazing is that the positioning techniques I did all weekend worked - baby girl is now in a perfect position for delivery.

So our plan from here:  I had my membranes swept this morning at the appointment.  We'll see if that increases my contractions.  Tonight, I go to the hospital for a foley bulb to be inserted.  This is like a little balloon that they put in my cervix to stretch it over a period of time.  When my cervix dilates to between 4-5 cm, the balloon falls out.  Often, this alone will send some women into labor.

Then on Wednesday (if baby hasn't come by then), we will rerun an ultrasound and non-stress test to check on baby girl.  If all goes well, we will be induced on Thursday morning and by then, with all of these things we're doing right now, my cervix will be in great shape for induction.

I have faith and every hope and confidence that my body and baby are working right now to go into labor on their own.  Baby girl has dropped into my pelvis and is said to be ready to go.  My body has been contracting more strongly, and more consistently since yesterday. 

Everyone has been offering their own experiences to reassure me that an induction isn't that big of a deal.  It is a big deal to me.  And while I know everyone means well, I just need to focus on relaxing and having confidence that this will happen naturally.  My body can do this.  My baby can do this.  We will do this!  And if it doesn't, I know we will have exhausted all of our options, and that we're making the best decision for our baby and our situation.

I said some huge prayers to the big guy yesterday at church.  I have faith!


  1. It sounds like everything is lining up right now for it to happen naturally! Now that she is flipped around and your taking the steps to help your cervix, I can't imagine that things won't progress naturally!

    And if you do end up having an induction, I hope you'll at least have peace of mind knowing that you did everything you could. I still think she'll come on her own though! :)

    Hang in there!!

  2. Sounds like everything is progressing nicely! It's so great that you have midwives who you trust and listen to your concerns.

  3. This is great! Things are looking up over there, my love! So happy for you that this is continuing to progress in your favor. Sending positive vibes your way. Love you!


Leave me your thoughts!