Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Beyond Frustrated

*This is a post about my recent health issues and contains a lot of bitching on my part - if you don't feel like hearing about it, come back tomorrow!

Awhile back I explained my frustration with my weight gain.  I went to an endocrinologist and he decided to run a few tests even though he suspected he would not find anything.  I was not thrilled with my experience with this particular endocrinologist but gave him a chance since he was running some tests.  But today, when he called and gave me the results, I realized that I need to seek a second opinion.

Everything came back normal - which is good and bad.  The good is that nothing is seriously wrong.  The bad is that I still have no answers.  I continue to work out.  I continue to eat well.  And I continue to gain weight.  And the other horrible thing that has occurred simultaneously with the weight gain is acne.  I never even had acne when I was a teenager so I'm not sure why I have it so badly now.  And the weight gain seems to mostly have affected my stomach and upper body.  This is very weird as well since I always had been very pear shaped and always had a little waist. 

When the doctor called to give me the results, it went a little like this:

Yes hi Katie.  I have your lab results and everything looks normal.  This is good news because it means nothing is wrong.  I know you're already active, so just keep working at it.  Have a good day, bye.

I quickly responded that I have a question, but he had already hung up.  My question was that he mentioned the lab results looked well, but he told me nothing about the ultrasound they took of my thyroid (because he felt a nodule).  And to leave me with nothing but a recommendation to keep doing what I'm doing? That left me hysterically crying.  What I'm doing?  Is gaining more weight.

I am beyond frustrated.  I feel like I am screaming for help from doctors and nobody can give me any answers.  I am so sick of being treated like I sit on my ass and eat junk food all day, like they don't believe I really am taking care of myself.  Something is wrong, and I wish someone would figure out what it is.

I feel like shit about myself everyday.  And I'm tired of that.  I'm tired of nothing fitting.  I'm tired of all of it. 

6 comments:

  1. Kaite I am SO sorry you have to go through this - I know how frustrating it can be to know something's wrong and not have an answer. You're very right to get a second opinion - you deserve a doctor who wants to get to the bottom of what's going on, not minimize what you're experiencing. In high school I became very sick and it took multiple doctors, and my parents' persistence, to figure it out - but you WILL. Let me know if I can help in any way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From A to Pink - Thank you so much for words of encouragement. I am going to keep fighting until someone can give me answers. I am just so sick of all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine your frustration. I am so glad you are getting a second opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I'm sorry to read about this. While I haven't been in a similar situation (although maybe I am with my knee...), YOU are your best advocate and YOU know if something is wrong.

    Definitely seek a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so terribly frustrating, I know. I am feeling the same way about my body/self esteem. I totally can relate to what you are feeling, and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Keep fighting for answers and try not to beat yourself up about your appearance, it will only bring you down. See you next Monday at Pilates (see, I can vouch for the fact that you DO work out! a lot!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ally, Kim and Beth - Thanks for the kind words. I am going to seek a second opinion from a doctor who hopefully has a little better bed-side manner.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!