Sunday, March 15, 2009

Who Knew?

Awhile ago, Kim asked if we wanted to play in a kickball league with her and her hubby. We thought it would be a good break for me each Saturday to enjoy the spring weather, getting a bit of exercise, and meeting new people. Saturday was our first game. I was quite nervous, as I haven't played kickball since grade school. Ian was nervous because he hadn't ever played kickball (since he didn't grow up in the U.S.).

We got there a little early to watch to make sure we knew what the hell we were doing. I did fine playing pitcher and managed to kick the ball (not well admittedly). Ian played well I guess (I mean how well can you play kickball). We ended up losing our first game - but I'm not playing to win. All in all, it was a good time.

But holy hell, I can barely move today. I played soccer competitively until I was 18, danced from the time I was 2 all the way through college, and still work out. I go to hot yoga and am sore the next day. I certainly feel like I've been through my fair share of being sore from a good workout. But this, this is something I've never felt before. I'm not really sure why! I had to take a bath mid-day today with epsom salts to try to help my aching muscles. My right arm and left glute muscles are KILLING ME! I think those were clearly the ones I was using to pitch. Who knew kickball would be such a good workout!

So I guess at the very least, I may get in better shape than I'd imagined - but if you run into me the next 8 weekends after our game, you'll recognize me by my walk - I'll be the 90-year old hobbling along. Oh, and not that this should surprise any of my friends, but I did not manage to make it through the first game without falling. I bit it while running. I guess I couldn't hide my true clutziness from these strangers for too long!

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad you guys had fun! I'm never in it to win either... I just go to hang out.

    You're not the only one who reported being sore, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your thoughts!